Dallasblack.com: Report: Two Sisters Accused Of Beating 3-Year-Old Boy To Death With A Baseball Bat Over A Cupcake


Wednesday, February 07, 2018 11:30 AM

Report: Two Sisters Accused Of Beating 3-Year-Old Boy To Death With A Baseball Bat Over A Cupcake

By: Elliah Dash-Stell

Report: Two Sisters Accused Of Beating 3-Year-Old Boy To Death With A Baseball Bat Over A Cupcake
Two sisters were indicted on felony murder charge, in the beating death of a 3-year-old child, on Tuesday, the Fulton County District Attorney’s Office said in a statement.

The indictment alleges Lashirley Morris used a bat to beat Kejuan Mason, repeatedly in the head, stomach, legs and arms, while his legal guardian Glenndria Morris spanked him, after he snuck and ate a cupcake.


The pair face life in prison without the possibility of parole if convicted.

Glenndria was Kejuan’s godmother and legal guardian. Three days before his death, Kejuan’s mother, Geraldine Mason, sensed something was wrong with her son.

She noticed bruises and scratches on him. When Kejuan’s mom confronted his Godmother about the signs of abuse, Glenndria Morris, shrugged it off as “horseplay” between Kejuan and the other children living in her home.

Mason didn’t buy this explanation though. She asked that her 3-year-old son be removed from Morris’ guardianship. On October 18th, a judge denied the request, records show.

Three days later, Kejuan was dead.

As punishment for eating a cupcake, the toddler was allegedly beaten with a baseball bat on the head, stomach, back, arms and legs, according to a report from the Division of Family and Children Services. 
This also quoted an unnamed child inside the home and identified Lashirley Morris — the sister of Kejuan’s caretaker —as the one who wielded the bat. The Fulton County Medical Examiner’s Office determined that Kejuan died of blunt force trauma to the head and torso.

Glenndria and Lashirley Morris were arrested on murder charges the following week.

The AJC pointed out that child welfare records show Kejuan had a rocky home life even before he and his twin brother ended up in Glenndria Morris’ cramped two-bedroom apartment.

The toddler and three of his siblings entered DFCS care, after their mother was arrested on a reckless conduct charge last March. She would allegedly leave her children home alone, had anger issues and abused the children, according to DFCS documents obtained by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution through an open records request.

Mason was reunited with one of her children after she was released from jail, but requested temporary guardianship for Kejuan and his brother, according to DFCS’ records.

She suggested Morris as fictive kin, or someone who has close ties to the family, but not directly related to them.

But when Mason attempted to visit her children, Morris denied her access. She gave various excuses, including saying the children needed to “learn some manners and get some home training.”

Detectives investigating the home the day of Kejuan’s death described the home as “roach-infested” with at least seven people living in the two-bedroom space. A neighbor told DFCS that the children were often left unattended and knocked on her door begging for food.


The apartment’s landlord said Morris, who was behind on rent, usually kept a “nasty” apartment. The kitchen was littered with dirty dishes and flies covered an empty pink cupcake container, when a DFCS case manager inspected the home the day Kejuan died. Bags of clothes filled the back patio and mold, spider webs, roaches and flies were found throughout the home.

Redacted child welfare records show the department objected to Glenndria Morris being named Kejuan’s guardian because she didn’t have an approved home evaluation, which the department requires.

DFCS chief operating officer Ashley Fielding Cooper told The AJC the agency prioritizes placement of children with relatives or fictive kin, but only after they and their homes have been vetted.

Apparently, this didn’t happen in the case of Glenndria Morris, because the court stepped in.

Guardianship papers indicate Fulton County Juvenile Court Judge Bradley Boyd and a visiting judge, referred to in DFCS documents only as “Judge Smith,” signed a June 15 petition approving the temporary order…despite DFCS’ objections.

It is unclear why Mason’s request to remove Kejuan from Morris’ care was denied in October; a new hearing had been scheduled for November.

Boyd said he couldn’t comment on the specifics of the case. Coy Johnson, director of the Fulton County child attorney’s office, said: “We are unable to comment due to pending litigation in juvenile court regarding Keujan’s siblings.

Once guardianship was granted, Cooper said DFCS was no longer involved.

“There was nothing in place to make sure checks were in place because the case (on our end) was closed,” she stated. “When we received the report of a child death, we were back involved.”

“I told DFCS. I told the juvenile system, the court – I told everybody,” Mason explained to CBS 46. “I said, ‘I think y’all need to do something because someone’s beating on my children.’ They did not listen to me. Not one time. They did not listen to me.”

Join Our Weekly
Or Daily Newsletters!


Recommended Articles

Latest Photos

View All Photos

Photogallery Image
Saturdays Evolve @ Union Park Addison 2....
Photogallery Image
Neo Soul Sundays @ Blue Martini Lounge 2...
Photogallery Image
Saturdays Evolve @ Union Park Addison 2....
Photogallery Image
Neo Soul Sundays @ Blue Martini Lounge 2...

Featured Events

MON, MAR 4TH 2019

Southern Dallas Community Briefing

Redbird - DEC (Dallas Entrepreneur Center)
FRI, MAR 1ST 2019
Charity & Outreach

Feminism 101

Galerstein Gender Center, SSB 4.300
SAT, FEB 23RD 2019
Special Events

2019 Texas Black Sports Hall of Fame Sponsorship

Sheraton Dallas Hotel
SUN, APR 7TH 2019
Kids & Family

Family & Friends Day

Life Changing Ministries of Deliverance
All Events